Website: Children's Harnesses by Elaine, Inc. www.childharness.ca
and my other blogs about weight loss: Weight Loss Made Simple
and parenting my 2 boys: My Boys Can...

Monday 10 January 2011

"My Child is a Runner"

To say that I hear this phrase a lot would be an understatement.

I don't hear it with every order but when I do hear it, believe me, there's an order for a Child-to-Adult Harness in the same breath.

Many MANY parents have told me their child is "a runner". Sometimes I hear "he's always been a runner" and sometimes I hear "she never used to be a runner but she sure is now".

As with all things children, there is variability. But whatever the circumstance, it seems that having a Child-to-Adult Harness in your arsenal is a good idea when caring for a child who is likely to take off in the blink of an eye. They will still take off, but only to the end of the lead.

Being "a runner" is a period of behaviour that will last as long as it takes your child to overcome and control their urge for flight. It may last for years. As you and your support team work with your child, you may need leads of different lengths for their harness. Some parents order my standard lead (5 feet 8 inches) to use every day as well as an 18 inch lead to use during therapy sessions when the child is being taught to walk beside their caregiver.

"This too shall pass" as they say, but in the meantime, your child in a Child-to-Adult Harness will at least mean they won't be miles ahead of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment