Website: Children's Harnesses by Elaine, Inc. www.childharness.ca
and my other blogs about weight loss: Weight Loss Made Simple
and parenting my 2 boys: My Boys Can...

Wednesday 2 February 2011

Is your child kept indoors at school because they are a flight risk?

One area of my business that has grown nicely over the past year is my sales to schools and Independent School Districts (ISDs). 

They are looking for my Child-to-Adult Harness to use with one of their students so that student can go on a field trip or play outdoors on the school grounds. 

Some school properties are not entirely fenced so students who are a flight risk have to be kept indoors during recess and lunch breaks. Playing outdoors or participating in field trips off the school property was never an option for these kids.

I now have 29 schools and ISDs as customers. One school ordered 2 different sized harnesses to use with different children when the need arises. Another school ordered a harness with a 10 foot lead so the child could play on the outdoor equipment without running off the property. A number of schools have ordered harnesses with very short leads so the child could safely be walked from one classroom to another.

Many parents who use my harness with their child send the harness to school so their child can fully participate in the routine activities of the classroom. If your child is being kept indoors all day at school or being left out of field trips because they are a flight risk, you may want to consider getting them a harness so they can do what their friends do and go where their friends go.

2 comments:

  1. I was just wondering, are the schools & ISD's Canadian or in other countries? My late wife used to work for an organization which served people with a wide variety of special needs and disabilities. ( Illinois USA ) one of the mandates with which they had to deal, was that their clients could not be subjected to any type of physical restraint. Although I've seen news reports, where schools have used seclusion rooms, whereby an "out of control" pupil would be locked in. I believe though, that a non injurious physical restraint is preferable to doping someone up on sedatives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi EmptyNester7985, Most of the schools and all of the ISDs are in the USA. Some States do have legislation that prevents them from purchasing a harness from me to use with a student. I have learned this when a special needs teacher places the order then has to cancel because their order cannot be approved by the school administrator. So I think it's dependent on the State but thankfully, most do not have a problem with it. E

    ReplyDelete