Website: Children's Harnesses by Elaine, Inc. www.childharness.ca
and my other blogs about weight loss: Weight Loss Made Simple
and parenting my 2 boys: My Boys Can...

Friday 11 February 2011

How about giving a gift of safety this Valentine's Day?

It's true that the chocolate and flower industries have the corner on Valentine's Day but this Monday how about giving a zero calorie, long lasting gift of safety instead?
No generation gap

Sound unromantic?

I suppose it does. But don't blame me for suggesting it, I'm just applying to Valentine's Day what I see in my business all year long. Need proof? Well, I have a ton of grandparents buying my Child Harness for them to use with their grandchild. Or they have me send the harness directly to the child's parents because they know their little grandkid is tearing up the streets and wearing down Mom and Dad. Then there's all the case workers who pay for a Child-to-Adult Harness for a child with special needs. This gift of safety is inevitably a life-changer for the whole family.

I can attest to the fact that there is a lot of giving going on all the time, not just on Valentine's Day. So if you're wondering what to do on the 14th, ask yourself this: how badly can you screw up if you give a gift that won't cause a complexion disaster, wide hips, or hyperglycemia and might actually be used every day of the year to keep someone you love safe?

Now that's what I call a gift from the heart.

3 comments:

  1. I would hope that one would always have the sense to choose a gift that would not offend. Jail time should not be an option!! :>) E

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a harness for my two year old son and have only used it a few times. I have really been surprised by the negative reaction I have received in public, from people shaking their heads at me to one womans comment that I was walking him like a dog. I think the harness is a wonderful idea but now I hesitate to use it. Is this common? I feel like I shouldn't care what others think but it is stressful when people criticize me as a bad parent. Any comments?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Anonymous, Thank you for checking in! I'm so sorry about the negative experiences you've had when using your harness with your son, that's very unfortunate.

    I must say that during the 3-4 years when I used my harnesses with my boys, I only had one negative comment - she thought my kids must be very bad to need harnesses! Overwhelmingly the comments were positive and 99% were envious. I constantly heard "I wish I'd had one of those", or "what a great idea" or older people would tell me that they did use harnesses on their own children when they were young.

    So to answer your question, in my personal experience criticism was essentially non-existent. But I think you've hit the nail on the head when you say you shouldn't care what other people think. Would those people rather see your son hit by a car? Or cause an accident when he runs into the street? Would they like to see your son lost in a crowd? Will they stick around to help you look for him or will they blame you for losing him? At the end of the day, you decide the best way to keep your son safe and if using a harness makes your life easier and his safety guaranteed, then it's a no brainer. Elaine

    ReplyDelete