Website: Children's Harnesses by Elaine, Inc. www.childharness.ca
and my other blogs about weight loss: Weight Loss Made Simple
and parenting my 2 boys: My Boys Can...

Wednesday 23 March 2011

Support a local store in your community and support people with mental illness

Today I made time to visit a local second hand store that I've been meaning to get to before I finished the book I was reading. And since I finished my book last night, today was the day.

The second hand store has soft cover novels for 25 cents each. Every time I scan the shelves I see books I've donated. Today I found 3 to bring home and when I paid I told the ladies that since I treat their shop like a library, I'd likely be bringing these back when I finished.

This particular store employs people with mental illness. It's a small shop with limited wall and floor space but they display very nicely a variety of clothes, kitchen items, bedding, knickknacks, etc. and in the back they have their book section with a few chairs to encourage lingering or for those who want to try on some shoes. The staff are warm and welcoming and quickly assisted by one supervisor if they happen to have difficulty helping a customer.

Chances are good there is a similar store in your community. You may have to search it out; places like this spend their donations and sales revenue supporting people with mental illness and not on things like advertising. If and when you have time, wander into some second hand shops you haven't visited before. Take your donations with you; clothes the kids have outgrown, books you've finished, sweaters you don't like any more. If you spend a few minutes looking around, chances are good you'll find some new treasures to take home. And the money you leave behind may end up helping someone in ways you didn't expect. 

3 comments:

  1. I love a used book store.... especially when they have the books organized.... I purchase a sack-full of books at a time....
    I recently attended the annual friends of the library sale... Before the books were entirely picked over!
    Sometimes, I'll read books that I have zero interest in... It's good to have something to read in those uncomfortable situations like waiting rooms and such...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Stone, So great that you dropped in. Library sales are a great place to pick up used books, and support the library. Excellent suggestion. Also, leaving books you've finished on the subway or other public spaces for others to pick up and enjoy is another great way to share. E

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Islamic Forex, Thanks so much for dropping in. I'm embarrassed that it's been so long since I've posted anything new...it's a hazard of being so busy with my orders :) Thanks again for reading. Elaine

    ReplyDelete